Blount County

Author: Linda Braden Albert
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738585710
Format: PDF, ePub, Mobi
Download Now
Blount County is the 10th county formed in the state of Tennessee. It was carved out of Knox County in 1795 and named for William Blount, the governor of the Territory South of the River Ohio. Maryville is the county seat and was named for Blount's wife, Mary Grainger Blount. The abundance of natural resources that once drew hardy settlers now attracts tourists from all over the world, especially to Cades Cove, a pioneer settlement in the Blount County section of Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Blount County has been home to the legendary Sam Houston; U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander, who also served as Tennessee's governor; and Bessie Harvey, a world-renowned folk artist.

Maryville

Author: Linda Braden Albert
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 073859072X
Format: PDF, ePub
Download Now
Maryville was incorporated as a city on July 11, 1795, by a single territorial legislative act that also created Blount County. Maryville, the Blount County seat, was named for Mary Grainger Blount, wife of territorial governor William Blount. The 50-acre site adjoining Capt. John Craig's fort was donated by Craig for the founding of the town, and a seven-man commission laid out 120 lots to be sold to raise funds for building a courthouse, prison, and stocks for the county. This book shares Maryville's rich history from its humble beginnings in the shadow of the Great Smoky Mountains to the turmoil of the Civil War and the changing face of the landscape throughout the 20th century. The images, many of them previously unpublished, were provided by local individuals, Maryville city government and schools, Maryville College, the Blount County Public Library, and the Daily Times newspaper.

Alcoa

Author: David R. Duggan
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738587813
Format: PDF, Docs
Download Now
Alcoa, incorporated in 1919 and located in Blount County, was established by Aluminum Company of America (ALCOA) officials who desired to create a residential community for employees. The company was drawn to the area because of the abundance of waterpower resources. The Little Tennessee River and its tributaries were considered a good source of the hydroelectric energy essential to the production of aluminum. Alcoa was among the first planned communities in the state and the first municipalities in the nation to adopt a city manager-commission government. Alcoa was home to Wade Houston, former University of Tennessee basketball coach, and was the birthplace of NFL Hall of Fame member Lynn Swann. Boasting the world's largest factory under one roof during World War II, the city has established a record of excellence in industrial production, quality community life, education, and athletics.

Friendsville

Author: George B. Henry
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738582382
Format: PDF
Download Now
Friendsville is a small town with a rich, varied history. It had its beginnings in the late 1790s, when several related families with the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) moved from North Carolina into what is now Blount County and established a Friends meeting about 12 miles from Maryville, the county seat. The families built a gristmill and a sawmill and later sold town lots. The Friendsville Post Office was established in 1850, and the town was incorporated in 1953. Friendsville has played a remarkable role in the history of the United States. The Friends, who did not support war or slavery, operated several stops on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War, helping runaway slaves, freed African Americans, and southern residents who wanted to fight for the North or move north to avoid the war. The area is now noted for its marble production, with Friendsville pink marble gracing such buildings as the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.

New Deal Art in Alabama

Author: Anita Price Davis
Publisher: McFarland
ISBN: 1476621144
Format: PDF, Docs
Download Now
As the United States struggled to recover from the Great Depression, 24 towns in Alabama would directly benefit from some of the $83 million allocated by the Federal Government for public art works under the New Deal. In the words of Harold Lloyd Hopkins, administrator of the Federal Emergency Relief Act, “artists had to eat, too,” and these funds aided people who needed employment during this difficult period in American history. This book examines some of the New Deal art—murals, reliefs, sculptures, frescoes and paintings—of Alabama and offers biographical sketches of the artists who created them. An appendix describes federal art programs and projects of the period (1933–1943).

Cades Cove

Author: Missy Tipton Green
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738588223
Format: PDF, ePub, Mobi
Download Now
Cades Cove came into existence in 1821, when William "Fighting Billy" Tipton was granted 1,280 acres of fine fertile land in the first recorded legal land title to Cades Cove following the Calhoun Treaty of 1819. The area was established as the 16th Civil District of Blount County. At its peak in 1900, the census showed that there were 125 families living in the cove and over 700 individuals. The Cades Cove people were self-sufficient and had many conveniences that others did not. Some residents made their own water system, and there were blacksmiths, coffin makers, farmers, storekeepers, postmasters, and many more occupations--there was no need to go out of their beloved cove for anything. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, this land was obtained by the State of Tennessee through eminent domain, and it later became the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Walland

Author: Missy Tipton Green & Paulette Ledbetter
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 1467126896
Format: PDF, ePub
Download Now
Approximately 10 miles long, Walland, Tennessee, is situated along the Chilhowee Ridge where the Little River naturally divides the mountain. Early on, both Baptist and Methodist churches were established, and the area's Baptist church was the first permanent Baptist church in Blount County. Amerine Forge, operated by George Amerine, was the largest ironworks in Blount County from 1845 to 1860. In 1901, Schlosser Leather Company opened a tannery, making it the largest industry in the county.

Bartow

Author: William Lloyd Harris
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 0738598720
Format: PDF, Mobi
Download Now
Bartow, the city of oaks and azaleas, where history has come alive since 1851, holds a long and colorful history. Forests of oak and pine flank the tranquil stream, which was named Peace by the Spanish Conquistadors. The site, untouched except by the footprint of the Seminole and untamed wildlife, drew the pioneer Blount family to give permanence to a fledgling community by building a place of refuge. First called Fort Blount and alternately Peace Creek, the Civil War and the munificence of cattleman Jacob Summerlin denominated Bartow and ensured its establishment as the county seat of Polk County. Cattle, citrus, railroads, and phosphate, coupled with hard-working, enterprising citizens, provided the catalyst to economic independence. Through war, peace, depression, and boom, Bartow's history is reflected in its places and in the people whose deeds built a city in the wilderness. Images of America: Bartow contains a portrait of history in the continuing growth of a city unveiled by photographic images.