Patrol and Rescue Boats on Puget Sound

Author: Chuck Fowler
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738575810
Format: PDF, ePub, Docs
Download Now
The history of impressive battleships, aircraft carriers, and submarines on Puget Sound has been well chronicled. However, the story of the smaller, fast patrol and rescue boats that have protected its vast inland waters is largely unknown. This book, through more than 200 rare images and engaging text, reveals the fascinating story. It covers Navy, Coast Guard, and Army Air Force craft in the sound, including the famed patrol torpedo boats of World War II. Featuring evocative photographs from the National Archives, as well as veterans' personal collections, this book highlights these military craft, their proud crews, and essential wartime and peacetime operations.

The Navy in Puget Sound

Author: Cory Graff
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738580814
Format: PDF, Docs
Download Now
Even before settlers came to the Puget Sound, the U.S. Navy was exploring the sheltered inlets and deep water ports of what was dubbed "America's Mediterranean." In 1856, the sailors of the navy warship Decatur repelled an attack by Native Americans, saving a tiny village on the shores of Elliott Bay named Seattle. In the ensuing years, Puget Sound became the West Coast's premier port of call for the navy's vessels and aircraft operating in the vast Pacific Ocean. During World War II, the region turned out a long line of combat and support vessels while quickly repairing many other ships that had been horribly damaged in clashes with the Japanese. In both peace and war, the communities of Puget Sound and the U.S. Navy have shared an enduring partnership that remains today.

Mosquito Fleet of South Puget Sound

Author: Jean Cammon Findlay
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738556079
Format: PDF
Download Now
Before the advent of roads in western Washington, steamboats of the Mosquito Fleet swarmed all over Puget Sound. Sidewheelers, stern-wheelers, and propeller-driven, they ranged from the tiny 40-foot Marie to the huge 282-foot Yosemite, and from the famous Flyer to the unknown Leota. Floating stores like the Vaughn and shrimpers like the Violet sailed the same waters as the elegant Great Lakes lady, the Chippewa, and the homely Willie. A few, like the Bob Irving and Blue Star, died spectacularly or, like Major Tompkins, shipwrecked after a short time, while others began new lives as tugboats or auto ferries; some even survive today as excursion boats like the Virginia V. From 1853 to modern car ferries in the 1920s, this volume chronicles the heyday of steamboating--a unique segment of maritime history--from modest launch to sleek liner.

Ferries of Puget Sound

Author: Steven J. Pickens
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738530871
Format: PDF, ePub
Download Now
Running from Point Defiance to Sidney, British Columbia, the Washington State ferry system is the single largest tourist attraction in the state, with 28 routes and 23 million riders annually. In this volume, travelers are invited to look back to the past and bid Puget Sound's "ancient mariners" a fond farewell.

The Brooklyn Navy Yard

Author: Thomas F. Berner
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 1439620318
Format: PDF, ePub, Docs
Download Now
Not much larger than a few city blocks (219 acres, plus 72 acres of water), the Brooklyn Navy Yard is one of the most historically significant sites in America. It was one of the U.S. Navy’s major shipbuilding and repair yards from 1801 to 1966. It produced more than 80 warships and hundreds of smaller vessels. At its height during World War II, it worked around the clock, employing some 70,000 people. The yard built the Monitor, the world’s first modern warship; the Maine, whose destruction set off the Spanish-American War; the Arizona, whose sinking launched America into World War II; and the Missouri, on whose deck World War II ended. On June 25, 1966, the flag at the Brooklyn Navy Yard was lowered for the last time and the 165-year-old institution ceased to exist. Sold to the City of New York for $22.4 million, the yard became a site for storage of vehicles, some light industry, and a modest amount of civilian ship repair.

Philadelphia Naval Shipyard

Author: Joseph-James Ahern
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738590240
Format: PDF, ePub
Download Now
The first government-owned navy yard in Philadelphia, the birthplace of the nation and the largest city in the young republic, was started with two docks in 1798. The area was enlarged and shipbuilding at this site increased, notably during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. The yard's area was not dramatically increased, however, until the federal government purchased the 800-acre League Island and closed the former facility in 1868. The golden age of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard came during World War II, when it built fifty-three ships and converted or overhauled some twelve hundred more. Workers at the yard numbered seventy thousand at its peak. After the 1970s, however, shipbuilding was discontinued. The yard continued to serve its country through the modernization of existing craft, but it was closed by the government in 1990 and officially decommissioned in 1996.

Filipinos in Puget Sound

Author: Dorothy Laigo Cordova
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738571348
Format: PDF, ePub, Docs
Download Now
Since the 19th century, Filipinos have immigrated to the Puget Sound region, which contains a deep inland sea once surrounded by forests and waters teeming with salmon. Seattle was the closest mainland American port to the Far East. In 1909, the "Igorotte Village" was the most popular venue at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, and the first Filipina war bride arrived. Filipinos laid telephone and telegraph cables from Seattle to Alaska; were seamen, U.S. Navy recruits, students, and cannery workers; and worked in lumber mills, restaurants, or as houseboys. With one Filipina woman to 30 men, most early Filipino families in the Puget Sound were interracial. After World War II , communities grew with the arrival of new war brides, military families, immigrants, and exchange students and workers. Second-generation Pinoys and Pinays began their families. With the 1965 revision of U.S. immigration laws, the Filipino population in Puget Sound cities, towns, and farm areas grew rapidly and changed dramatically--as did all of Puget Sound.

Steilacoom

Author: Sunny Pepin
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738558202
Format: PDF, Kindle
Download Now
Named for the Schtaileqawem native people, the idyllic town of Steilacoom is located on the southeastern shores of Washingtonas Puget Sound. The year 1841 marked the first official American exploration of Puget Sound by Lt. Charles Wilkes and the U.S. Navy. Although the area had a U.S. Army post at Fort Steilacoom, with the Hudsonas Bay Company at Fort Nisqually and pioneers scattered between, it wasnat until January 1851 that Capt. Lafayette Balch founded Port Steilacoom. Just south of the new port, John B. Chapman established Steilacoom City in June of that same year. The settlements merged to form the Town of Steilacoom in 1854; it became the first incorporated town in the Washington Territory. Steilacoomas story is one of transformation from bustling city to scenic small town. With a commanding view of the Narrows Bridge, the Olympic Mountains, Key Peninsula, and South Sound islands, Steilacoom is now proudly known as the aTown of Firsts.a

Federal Way

Author:
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing
ISBN: 9780738558981
Format: PDF, ePub
Download Now
Located on Puget Sound between Seattle and Tacoma, the site that became Federal Way was first settled by loggers, who in the 1860s began using the shore along Puget Sound for easy access to the extensive timber available inland. By the 1880s, about 50 homesteaders had filed claims in the Greater Federal Way area. Five small communities with individual school districts were established. When the five school districts consolidated in 1929, the new school was given the name Federal Way School because of the recently built, federally funded highway that passed nearby. Eventually the entire community came to be known as Federal Way. Still a relatively rural place up until the 1950s, Federal Way has grown exponentially since that time and is now the eighth largest city in Washington.